Pages

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Recycled Pizza Board to Valentine Heart Wall Hanging

This is a Valentine Home Decor Project that me and my little man created together and it is RECYCLED!  I love to try and recycle items so I'm pretty proud of this one.

First you must understand that my family loves pizza from Aldi's.  It is frozen pizza but we have a pizza maker/heater that cooks it perfectly and it is so yummy.  Anyway, the pizza's are packaged up with a round cardboard to support it.  When you open up the pizza, of course, you're supposed to throw the round cardboard away.  Well, I just couldn't and have thought of several ideas I could do with them.  Pictured above is my first idea.

So here's the cardboard backing of the pizza.


I folded it in half.


I drew a half heart shape while folded
 (took me a couple of tries to get the heart bump
that I like as you can see).


Cut out the heart shape.  This will be your template
since you won't want a partially folded board.
Do you notice how I am holding the scissors? 
That's because my thumb is still injured
 and I can't grasp anything without feeling
a lot of pain.  So while I wait for it to heal,
this is how I have resorted to cutting.


Trace the heart template to another board and cut out. 
I traced it on several because
I was planning on trying several different designs.



I then took a piece of paper, fold it in half, 
drew a smaller heart shape, and cut it out.


I took the paper template and lined it up on the
inside of the cardboard. I just eyeballed it.
I then traced it onto the cardboard.  You can sort of see
a faint heart line in the middle of my board.


Now the fun part... I used pink paper streamer and
cut squares  from them.  You'll also need a
 pencil with a flat eraser top.


I took a streamer square and placed the
pencil top in the middle.


I then pulled the sides of the paper up to cover
the pencil.  I remember doing this back in
 elementary school to decorate pinatas.


So here's my lil' man preparing to put his
cutting skill to work.


And here he is cutting the squares out. 
We cut out a lot. 
Almost used the whole streamer roll.


Lil' man's turn to wrap the squares around the pencil.
 I've applied tacky glueon the outer part of the heart. 
I have other plans for the inside heart.


He's gluing it down. 
Look at the concentration on his face.


Here's some of the squares already glued on the cardboard. 
 Looks like flowers he said.


And here's more of the squares glued on. 
Looks fluffy and really didn't take too long.


TA-DAH!  The whole outer heart is complete. 
Now comes mommy's turn.


Using red streamer paper, I rolled and pinched lenghts
of streamer paper to create these flowers.  This time I made
sure I had the same length for each flower so they would be
about the same size but crazily, they still turned out
 having different sizes.  All depends on how I rolled them.


Here I have started gluing the flowers in
to fill up the inside heart.


All done!  Now how to hang it?


Visited the dollar store and found a really pretty
Valentine ribbon for (of course) $1.00.
I made a bow with long tails, glued the tails onto the back,
and it's ready to be hung. Now, I could cover the back
with felt or any fabric but personally I like having the
logo stuff on the back so when I tell people
it's recycled and what it's from,
I can also show them.  Proof...it's recycled!

Isn't it pretty?



Hope  you enjoyed it!

Peechee

       WWFB

2 comments:

Sheri@childmade.com said...

That turned out great! It looks so fluffy. And SOMEBODY sure looks proud! Thanks for linking ... come again any time!

Katherine said...

That's beautiful! I have always thought about reusing those pizza boards but never have! Your little helper did a great job- love his look of concentration! Thanks for linking and I'm your newest follower!