Pages

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Milk Jug Butterfly suncatchers

We go through a lot of milk in our house since there are so many of us and my recycling bin quickly gets filled up with milk jugs.  For a while I have been wanting to recycle these jugs into something else.  I have a few ideas but started with these butterflies.

First I cut apart the milk jug with regular kitchen scissors.  It cuts so easily.  I kept the flatter parts of the jug.  Then I made a template of a butterfly and cut out the shape on the milk jug.  From there, lil' man and I made our own designs and colored them in using sharpie colored markers. Once done, we punched a hole at the top of the butterflies so we can hang them in the window as our suncatchers.

Here they are hanging in the window.  Not the best picture since it is cloudy out and you see my neighbors siding and power lines.


Anyhoo ... I think they look awesome!  BUT be careful handling the butterflies because the colors easily scratch off.  I'm wondering if spraying them with a clear coat would help ... or sanding the surface down first.  Hmmmm... time for some experiments.

Peechee

No comments: