Pages

Thursday, November 22, 2012

Fall Leaves Soap Petals recycled container

This year, I wanted to give my lil' man's teacher something different for Thanksgiving rather than the typical pie or baked goods. So I made Fall Leaves Soap Petals and put them in a recycled cheese container ...
Two Christmas' ago I made soap petals using poinsettia leaves. I figured why not try it with fall leaves. That way, if his teacher was going to have company over, her bathroom soap can be extra-ordinary.  Here's how I did it ...

You will need:

clear melt and pour soap base
essential or fragrance oil (1 tbs per pound of soap base)
pyrex measuring cup or bowl (pyrex withstands heat very well)
tweezers
stirrer - I used a chopstick
fabric fall leaves - I bought mine from the Dollar Store
aluminum foil

Break off  your desired amount of soap base into a pyrex measuring cup or bowl.  Microwave on high for 30 seconds.  Stir to melt.  If needed, put back in microwave for another 15-30 seconds to melt the soap base.  Once melted, add the fragrance oil and stir.  Dip a leaf, one a time.  I submerge the whole leaf and then using tweezers, pick up a corner of the leaf and let it the drippings drip back into the cup/bowl.  Lay the leaf onto the aluminum foil and repeat the process for the other leaves. Allow to dry about an hour.
I know!  I know!  I'm using my fingers but I can handle the heat.  For your protection, use tweezers.
 
  For the container, I took a Cheese Dip glass jar, removed the label, and cleaned out the inside.
 I then took scrapbook paper in a fall theme and traced the cap onto it.  I cut the circle out bigger than the tracing so that I can fold it over the sides of the cap.  You will need to cut tiny slits in order to fold it over.
 Apply Mod Podge on the cap and glue it onto the center of the circle scrapbook cut out.
 Apply Mod Podge to the edge of the caps and start folding over the little strips.
I then applied Mod Podge over the whole cap to seal it and protect it in case water gets on it (since it is a container for soap).

Afterwards, I took a strip of orange paper and the same fall paper on the cap and made strips to go around the jar - just to pretty it up.  Then I added some non-dipped leaves onto the top of the cap.  Threw on a ribbon with a tag, and tah-dah!


  I made 2 because I gave the other one to lil' man's teacher last year.
 Sorry if my instructions weren't very good.  Here's another one that I found that shows you how to dip the leaves ... CLICK HERE.

 Have a great Thanksgiving!

Peechee


No comments: